[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:05:32 UTC 2008

I'd certainly ask for advice from counsel on this, but I would want to
know: "given that Baidupedia is starting with GFDL content, does the
fact that they obscure that their content is licensed under the GFDL
prevent all subsequent derivative edits from also being unknowingly
licensed under the GFDL?"

Essentially, if you are making a derivative work of a viral/share-
alike/GFDL style content, but you do not know what the status of the
original was (and did not agree to license your content under the
GFDL), what is the copyright status of the newly created derivative
work?

We'd need to know the answer to that question before doing a "reverse
Baidupedia". If the answer is "It's under the GFDL" then we're ok to
proceed (ignoring for a second the moral issues). If the answer is
something other than that, we may not be able to do it.

-Dan