[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Ryan wiki.ral315 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 19:42:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:

> Complementary is only a step or two away from parasitic (such as their
> relationship to us), but I too agree with this that where they have
> worthwhile material that is something we can import under the GFDL, we
> should do so. And if they don't like it, we can kindly point out that
> they're doing the same to us but violating the license terms as well.
>
> -Dan

I'm not sure that's morally correct.  I don't feel it's right to release a
Baidupedia contributor's edits under the GFDL when they didn't know that the
original material was available under the GFDL, or that their edits would be
released as such.  Of course, if Baidu agreed to use GFDL fairly, we could
use the edits legally, because Baidu presumably holds for itself copyright
to contributions.

What also should be considered if we ever went down this road is that we're
not the only source they're "borrowing" from; apparently they're also using
other sources like the Chinese encyclopedia Hoodong, and we could
inadvertently violate their copyrights by using Baidu's altered versions.

--
[[User:Ral315]]