[Foundation-l] Policy proposal: Anti-vandal fighter role

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:31:31 UTC 2008

2008/6/11 Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>:
> There is one issue from the GRU policy proposal I have ported from
> Wikipedia. It specifies that those with the right to view deleted
> contributions should not do so in order to disseminate the content of the
> deleted contributions to third parties.
>
> How do we know? There is no log of who views deleted pages except for
> whatever Brion and the other devs can access. Do we need such a log?

For now, I think we can make do with simply asking people to be good.
With a couple of exceptions, it's worked so far.

Incidentally, I'm a little confused. Does existing enwp policy
explictly say that? I've always understood that looking up deleted
content and passing it on is fine (and indeed vaguely encouraged in
some cases), as long as that content was deleted because we didn't
want it rather than because it's Inherently Nasty Stuff.

(This demonstrates the problem of making a rule to deal with bad
cases: it can potentially impinge on a lot of trivial but perfectly
acceptable cases...)

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk