[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Dennis During dcduring at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 16:03:11 UTC 2008

I do not think that the on-line analogs of real-world stalking and
harassment are the same as their real-life counterparts, because false
identity and physical separation make it less likely that threats be
converted to physical consequences.  Nor will most normal people. Nor
will law enforcement or legislators.  It is when physical harm is a
real possibility that the phenomenon is taken seriously by others.  If
on-line stalking and harassment never spilled over into the real
world, it would be considered by most a non problem.

We spend more time on-line than most of our fellow citizens. In
particular, we have more familiarity with the unpleasantness of
harassing behavior on-line than most of our fellow citizens. These two
facts have some important consequences, I think.  We care more about
on-line harassment.  And we also are likely to experience real-world
stalking and harassment growing out of on-line interaction, to be
aware of someone who has suffered from it, and to be able to imagine
ourselves suffering from it.

We are vastly more likely to perceive on-line stalking and harassment
as problems, both because it is very unpleasant to be involved in it
even without any likely possibility of physical harm and because we
can see how physical harm could result.  In dealing with those unlike
ourselves, we need to keep aware of how differently they see the
world.  They are likely to see us as engaged in petty squabbles in an
arena (the on-line world) that attracts crazies and hysterics.

There are two breaches of good on-line behavior that might be taken
seriously by those who do not spend much time on-line.  The first is
explicit threats of physical harm.  The second is a breach of the
separation of the on-line and the real-world.  It is likely that only
the co-incidence of the two will be taken seriously by law
enforcement. Our own norms and behavior will have to carry the load
with regards to breaches of just one or the other.  WMF can have
"strong" cross-project measures against those who make threats,
supporting those filing complaints with law enforcement and breaching
the anonymity that might protect the perpetrators. We ourselves have
to do what we can to protect our own real-world privacy if we venture
into dangerous on-line territory.

Local law enforcement has jurisdictional and cost problems in dealing
with on-line stalking and harassment.  National police forces have
more capability, but also face problems when the behavior crosses
international borders.

Lastly, when engaged in some of the more ferocious ideological battles
on-line, it is unwise to imagine that one can be immune from stalking
and harassment. At the very least one needs thick skin. In addition
one needs either unbreachable security or a non-provocative or even
conciliatory manner.

My 2 cents.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Absolutely !!
>
> Denying that this is taking place endangers us, our continuity and our
> neutral point of view. There simply is no excuse for stalking. When things
> make a turn for the worst, the excuse "I did not know" is rather lame. It is
> for this reason that we have to address it sooner rather then to late.
> Thanks,
>     Gerard
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
>> wrote:

>> > In a strict ultimate sense you are right of course,
>> >
>> > Some behaviours would still cast doubt on that finding. :-)
>> >
>> I assume you're joking, but if someone is continuously harassing
>> and/or threatening you, it doesn't matter whether it's by phone, by
>> mail, by email, by instant message, by wiki talk page, by whatever.
>> Stalking is stalking.  Cyberstalking is stalking.  Wikistalking is
>> stalking.  Anyone who persists in using one of the terms to mean less
>> than that is harming society.
>>
>> The Internet is part of the real world.  Full stop.

Dennis C. During