[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 23:03:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're preaching to the choir here with me Sarah. I fully support that
> principle being applied, and not ignored. I was just pointing out that
> there's a policy based reason that allows us to say "You know what,
> lets quit blathering about this and do something about it", if we can
> grab our collective balls and do it.
>
> -Dan

Dan, I feel we've almost left it too late. We currently have a
situation where several of those involved in some of the stalking
sites have been promoted to admins, and many more are regular editors
who routinely pursue editors they don't like -- via wikistalking,
RfCs, RfArs, and reports on AN/I -- in order to make their time on
Wikipedia miserable. Shortly after people were shocked that
NewYorkBrad was outed and left the project, one of the three people
who was instrumental in trying to out me in 2006 was promoted to
bureaucrat on another WMF project, with the support of FloNight of the
ArbCom. What kind of message does that send?

Good editors are leaving because of this kind of thing. It's one thing
not to be actively supported by the Foundation, but it's a real kick
in the teeth when we see members of the ArbCom support any of these
people, and board members (I'm thinking here of Erik when he was on
the board) remove their sites from the spam blacklist.

It seems that people have short memories if they haven't been targeted
themselves.

Sarah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SlimVirgin