[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mouvement

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 20:53:56 UTC 2008

I think that Wiki movement would definitely not be what I would expect
out of a movement like this, as personally I do not realy care *that*
much about Wiki. Wiki is a great tool, but not a goal. Free knowledge
is. Wikimedia covers both, Wiki does not.

However, I realize that this is more twittering about choise of words.
I think Gerard has a fair point somehow, and that partners in crime
might be stimulated by such a cooperation. However, it is the current
truth that these organizations are not a part of the organizational
structure. And I think that is what Florence wants to cover. And it is
definitely true that that organisational structure of Wikimedia should
get a better face to the outside world. What is Wikimedia, what does
it do etc, which has also been discussed on the chapters meeting in
Nijmegen some time ago.

This however does not exclude a closer cooperation with like minded
organizations, both on international and national level. I think that
setting up a platform would be nice, and would stimulate the setting
up of projects. This platform could be on an informal level, but maybe
even on a somewhat more formal level such a platform might be worth
while. I think that chapters, the foundation and those like minded
organisations, including for instance Creative Commons, Free Software
Foundation and some Wiki organizations which are working with free
licenses, should consider this, and think about a shared vision on the
future.

Best regards,

Lodewijk