[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mouvement

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 20:34:31 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the Wiki movement the Wikimedia Foundation, its projects, its chapters
> are vitally important. When you want to call this a movement however, it is
> equally important to reach out and recognise the part other organisations
> and projects play.
>
> When you call it the "Wikimedia movement" and invoke trademark rules to
> exclude, as a movement it will be limited. Its potential relevance limited.
> It is for this reason that I suggest to be clearly inclusive or exclusive.
> When we choose to be exclusive, there is still room for a wiki movement, it
> saddens me that the "Wikimedia movement" will be as a consequence less
> relevant in this wiki movement.

I think that the situation is complex. We have a need to make wider
movement, while we didn't solve problems in our house. So, maybe the
time is to make something which wouldn't pretend to call itself as a
"movement", but to make communication between different organized
groups inside of Wikimedia better, as well as their presentation to
outsiders. When we put it at the legs, we would be able to think about
free knowledge movement.