[Foundation-l] Wikipedia at World Esperanto Congress, Rotterdam

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:26:37 UTC 2008

Hello,

Today the World Esperanto Congress at Beurs WTC, Rotterdam, ended.
Following some notes about the Wikipedia activities:

- Everyone of the 1800 congress participants had a flyer about
Esperanto Wikipedia (and Wikimedia) in his or her congress materials.
- A session on Monday had been put into a room too small (for 50
people); because to that, a second session was given to Wikipedia at
Friday, with 70 attendants. We talked about the basics of Wikipedia
and Wikimedia, gave a practical impression, answered questions and
showed the Jimmy Wales fundraising video 2007 with Esperanto
subtitles.
- At Esperantology Conference, I lectured about Wikipedia in small or
weak languages.
- Other Wikipedians organizing our sessions were Yves Nevelsteen and
Beatrice Allée; I have met for about 10 active Esperanto Wikipedians I
know.
- Universal Esperanto Association (UEA) supported us in several ways.
- I caught some testimonials from people famous in the Esperanto
world, like former UEA president Humphrey Tonkin (Hartford), professor
of English renaissance literature, John Wells (UCL), professor of
phonetics, and the head of Gesellschaft für Interlinguistik, Detlev
Blanke (Humboldt-Universität Berlin).

Info (in Esperanto) and photographs:
http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikipedio:Vikipedio_en_UK

Kind regards,