[Foundation-l] What is on the back of the logo?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:50:37 UTC 2008

I love this topic.  A vectorized 3D ball would be fantastic.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi all - I'm also looking closely at this issue.  It's becoming necessary
> to A)
> fix the Hindi character on the left-hand side of the puzzle globe, and B)
> as
> Lennart is pointing out it's advantageous (and somewhat logical) to need a
> fully
> 3D version of the globe for all sorts of needs.

+1 for fixing the character (and perhaps clarifying any where the current
rendering isn't clear) to update the current logo.  I would also like to see
characters on the currently blank pieces on the bottom.

> I'm working with a colleague who is going to create a fully 3D version of
> the
> globe (as stage one) in blender.  I'd like to have a modeled version for
> the
> simple reason that we obviously want to build a globe for public display,
> and to
> have one here in the WMF offices.

This would also be great.  Note that a question harder than "what goes on
the back?" is "what do the top and bottom of the sphere look like?", which
is a question to work out with a talented spherical-puzzle designer.   (for
the top, it would be nice to have an estimate of the # of unfinished pieces,
or a tentative design, but since the original point was to indicate the
unfinished nature of the projects, a true 3D model would also be unfinished)

> I'd be interested in hearing more about thoughts on further scripts.  It
> seems
> kind of obvious that we would continue the theme of 'w's in other languages
> on
> each of the pieces.

I support the idea of having good representative scripts, not just "the most
widely spoken".

SJ