[Foundation-l] language proposal policy. let's continue the work

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 10:52:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea that people prefer one language to another does not mean they
> will not read articles in another language and find them just as
> useful, if not moreso.
>
> I certainly prefer English to Spanish, but I have used the Spanish
> Wikipedia on many occasions, especially when the article there was
> longer or more informative.

Sure, that will happen, but mostly when the alternative Wikipedia is
of a comparable size. A relatively small language will have that
advantage so rarely that people will not habitually check for it.
People will go from Italian to French or English for such a reason,
but I think that those who will go to Sicilian or Napolitan are those
that will just be either prefer that language to Italian if the same
content was available in both languages, or had no clear preference
between them.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com