[Foundation-l] Kaltura and Wikimania collaborative video editing

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 07:17:56 UTC 2008

Jay Walsh wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Kaltura - who are kind benefactors of Wikimania this year, wanted to
> pass on the following invite to those who are participating in Wikimania
> - or those who may not be able to.
>
> They've got two lonely videos on there right now.  Consider uploading
> your travel videos for some open-source collaboration/editing.  Add as
> many other videos as you can come across while you're in Alexandria.  If
> you can't make it, why not edit a video or add some reflections or views
> of your own?
>
> (PS, freshly blogged at
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2008/07/08/kaltura-and-wikimania-08-collaborative-video-editing/)
>
> Thanks!
> Jay Walsh, Head of Communications
>
> Here's the invitation from Lisa Bennet, Director of Public Relations and
> Marketing, Kaltura
>

> Hi Everyone,
>
> As Wikimania is right around the corner, we’ve added a new great way to
> share information about the event. I would like to invite you to the
> Wikimania Video Site where you can create collaborative videos. The site
> already has some videos where people can add their expectations for the
> event or share why they can’t join us this year, and there will be
> computer stations at Wikimania for attendees to add videos and pictures
> in real-time from Alexandria. Hopefully, it will be a great resource for
> people that could not be there in person to see the highlights, and for
> the attendees to document the event.
>
> Check it out at:
> http://www.kaltura.com/devwiki/index.php/Wikimania_Video_Site
>
> The site is hosted on the Kaltura devwiki and uses the collaborative
> video technology from Kaltura, which the Foundation partnered with late
> last year to explore adding videos to Wikipedia and other projects.
>
> You’re invited to share your experiences from Wikimania, play with the
> technology, and provide your feedback.

Okay, my first three feedbacks.

1. I uploaded an image just fine. This image was added to the end of the
video automatically (I could not put it elsewhere). I had no other
choice than cc by sa as a licence. The image may have been cc by sa...
or something else... so I may have infringed the original licence. I had
no field where I could add the source or name of the author. So,
ultimately, I did not respect the licence of the image. I apology to the
author.

2. I tried to remix the video. When I clicked on remix, I found myself
in front of the "add to this video" system. I was never able to remix,
nor to see a history of the entire video.

3. I decided to go back to the main video to click again on the remix
button. It crashed my browser and I lost the roughly 30 pages which were
opened.

That ended my experience with it.

Ant