[Foundation-l] Top 10 Wikipedias

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Jul 7 17:13:47 UTC 2008

Filip Maljkovic wrote (on behalf of Waldir):

> I would like to request your attention to a vote that will start this
> midnight, regarding a rearrangement of the top ten Wikipedias that are
> displayed on the main wikipedia portal

> Please head to the poll
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metapub#Top_10_Wikipedias.28poll.29>
> to vote. I hope to see you there! --Waldir

You failed to mention what sort of authority or mandate this poll
has been given, compared to all previous opinions, votes and polls
on the same topic in recent years.  I don't even know whether the
design of the www.wikipedia.org front page is the responsibility
of the WMF board, its chairman or the CEO.  Will they agree to be
micromanaged by spontaneous polls among the audience?  After the
vote has ended on July 31, who will implement the changes?  Who
decided the time limits for this poll, and the criteria for who
can vote (account 3 months ago, 500 edits total)?  To an outside
reader it might seem like anybody can make the rules and decide
anything.  Does this mean I can start a new poll on the same
subject in September?

I don't mind an opinion poll.  I don't mind the front page being
redesigned.  What I do question is the right to initiate new polls
or institutions (last time it was the community council) that take
the shape of government over the WMF.  The WMF should be ruled
according to its bylaws, not by spontaneous mobs.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)