[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation 2008-2009 Annual Plan

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:31:17 UTC 2008

Except, Africa faces problems that extend far beyond simple language
penetration: there is simply not enough internet and broadband coverage, not
enough computer access and computer ownership, and in several countries the
political climate inhibits any access to free information.

If we're truly worried about peoples of Africa, we ought to be addressing
those problems first, rather than setting up languages for them. We can't
bring knowledge to Zimbabwe if Mugabe kills all of his opponents and their
supporters, and controls the internet access. We can't bring knowledge to
Somalia if there simply aren't enough telecom companies doing business there
to achieve significant internet access. Such issues are far more pressing
than languages.

-Dan

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> The people of Africa have the same need as the people of Europe. We are
> doing a good job for the people of Europe. There needs are taken care off,
> the projects in the European language are in a great shape. This is in
> marked contrast with the projects in the African languages even the African
> subjects.
>
> At the Wikimanias of the past the wish was expressed to do a better job for
> Africa.. we have this opportunity, we can take this.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > None, but did Polish need it? I think you can't compare the situation
> > > of a language in Africa with that of a language in Europe. The
> > > question is, what would be the added value. Asking what we did with
> > > other languages that did not need it sounds ridiculous to me, sorry
> > > (at least your other arguments make *some* sense... ).
> >
> > I don't understand... why do people in Europe have a lesser need for
> > knowledge than people in Africa?

Dan Rosenthal