[Foundation-l] communicaton from noise

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 22:04:48 UTC 2008

On 28/01/2008, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Dan.  I do not think our tools are antiquated and find
> them very efficient at meeting our goals.

Horses for courses. wikien-l in particular resembles a toxic waste
dump at times, and I believe was a large part of the incentive for
Wikback being set up - the idea being a forum with strongly enforced
civility rules in the hope of getting disparate groups talking who
wouldn't be gotten together otherwise. It's done surprisingly well at
this so far.

That said, I find forums deeply annoying (like Usenet except without
everything that makes Usenet any good) and tend to just stop using
them even when I intend to. But for some people they work well. And I
hope Wikback continues strongly, even if the medium annoys the heck of
me.

- d.