[Foundation-l] Litigation costs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 11 10:33:49 UTC 2008

Mike Godwin wrote:
> Thomas Dalton writes:
>
>> Would defending one case reduce costs of future cases by virtue of
>> establishing a precedent, or will it still cost enormous amounts even
>> if with a precedent?
>>
> It depends on far too many factors to list here.

I think it would reduce the probability of such a case.  Still, all it
takes is one crusader determined in his belief that he can distinguish
his case from ours to overturn the applecart.
> Anthony write
>> Besides the obvious argument that a free
>> encyclopedia should contain free content, I think such mixing of free
>> and non-free content goes against the spirit if not the letter of the
>> GFDL.  But I'm also for being honest about the reasons that content is
>> removed.
>>
> I think this is an important consideration. We want the content we
> make available to be maximally unencumbered (with that lack of
> encumbrance enforced by the GFDL or similar license).  "Fair use"
> content doesn't meet that criterion.
>
> Please understand that I am resolutely in favor of fair use, of fair
> use/fair dealing doctrines, and even of occasional use of such content
> on our projects.  But we can't pretend that the issues regarding
> protecting the Foundation and its projects and the communities we
> serve are the same as straight-up issues about copyright and fair
> use.  There's some overlap, sure, but the issues raised are different,
> depending on context.

"Maximally unencumbered" makes sense but it does not provide an ironclad
guarantee to the reuser.  The reuser must accept his share of
responsibility for what he uses; we cannot absove him of his duty of due
diligence on a wide range of issues of which copyright is only one.

I have no problem with seriously limiting fair use, but much of what is
labeled "fair use" often fails the minimal criteria for fair use.  They
completely ignore other possible defences.
> As any copyright lawyer will tell you, context is pretty much
> everything in copyright law.
We have absolutely no control over the reuser's context.

Ec