[Foundation-l] Are we a club?

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 20:00:37 UTC 2008

on 1/10/08 2:28 PM, Milos Rancic at millosh at gmail.com wrote:

> I think that I understand about what Gregory and Brigitte talk. Also,
> it looks to me that after Board's decision about licenses things
> became much better, thanks to the community's pressure after the
> decision.
>
> Wikimedian community was a club of people involved in in the projects.
> During this year it became obvious that it is not such club anymore,
> which is good.
>
> But, tendencies which are making WMF as a club of Wikimedian leaders
> which are making a meta-club with other similar clubs -- didn't start
> yesterday. And this is a problem.
>
> Wikimedian community is *very* different from other free culture
> communities because it is not a group of geeks who don't want to be
> included in "some boring things" (like free software and open source
> movements are), as well as it is not a group of professionals who are
> communicating between themselves on the professional level.
>
> Our community is much more diverse and much more like any society in
> the world. Because of that, community members don't want to treat
> community leaders as "good managers" or "people who made a right thing
> at the right time", but as a political leaders who need to be good
> managers, to do the right thing at the right time, but not only that.
>
> I really think that comparing WM community with other free culture
> communities is a wrong way of thinking. Community similar to
> Wikimedian didn't happen in the history and people who are in the
> position to lead it have to be very creative and extremely careful in
> building its future. Consequences of doing good and bad job may be
> similar (while I hope not so drastic) to the consequences of bad job
> done by League of Nations.
>
> Maybe it may look like a hyperbola, but I really feel that something
> big is brewing. And it is much better to be more careful then
> responsible for a disaster.

There is something big that is brewing, Milos. The Wikipedia Community is
becoming more identified, more questioning, more assertive, and is demanding
more of a voice in decision making. And there are those in positions of
insinuated "authority" who are having a great deal of trouble with this.
Hang in there, there is a whole new model for a cyberspace community that is
also brewing.

Marc Riddell