[Foundation-l] Wiki work

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 27 05:38:53 UTC 2008

Dirk Riehle wrote:
> Confluence is "enterprise ready" i.e. has a lot of features that
> MediaWiki doesn't have and that the public Internet community
> typically doesn't care about.
>
> Confluence is based on an open source wiki engine, www.snipsnap.org,
> which unfortunately is stalling. (But is still one of the best engines
> out there IMO.)
>
> Cheers,
> Dirk

"Enterprise ready" is just a marketing term. It doesn't actually say
anything about what features it has and what features it doesn't have, and
lots of enterprises are using MediaWiki out of the box.

Which brings me to one big thing that Confluence has but MediaWiki
doesn't: a marketing team. Add to that a sales team and professional
support services, and you have a convincing case for any corporate executive.

MediaWiki really needs very little development work done in order to take
over the corporate world. But there is no support organisation to pay for
it, so it doesn't get done. With commercial support funding development,
MediaWiki could easily become the MySQL of wiki engines.

-- Tim Starling