[Foundation-l] Wiki work

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Tue Feb 26 17:01:27 UTC 2008

We did extensive work on an EBNF Grammar, XML Schema, and XSLT
transformations for wiki markup, see:

http://www.riehle.org/category/wiki-tech/

We are based on Wiki Creole, which is sufficient for our research
purposes. Going all the way to MediaWiki syntax is much harder...

(Wiki Creole by and large is a subset of MediaWiki markup.)

I'd be happy to share more of our experiences and contribute though.

Dirk

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:41 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2008, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > well, confluence *does* offer wysiwyg, in contrary to mediawiki...
>

>  Lack of good WYSIWYG in MediaWiki is a major problem for wider
>  acceptance of the software. This is a well-understood problem, if an
>  as yet unsolved one :-)
>
>  There are some WYSIWYG editors for MediaWiki, but they're not that
>  great beyond the basics of wikitext. Anything fancy is fraught with
>  difficulties.
>
>     http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WYSIWYG_editor
>
>  Good WYSIWYG is mostly blocked on a good wikitext grammar. Steve
>  Bennett is leading the effort to write one on wikitext-l:
>
>     http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitext-l/
>
>  You can see work so far at:
>
>     http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Markup_spec/ANTLR
>
>  Once that's done, WYSIWYG editor writers won't have to try to
>  reverse-engineer wikitext themselves.
>

>  - d.

Phone: +1 650 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org