[Foundation-l] Reply to Mark

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 16:45:46 UTC 2008

Meeting is saturday.
But to avoid any disappointment Dan... I doubt very much that any sort
of announcement will happen in the subsequent week. Here is why.

As part of our growth, we must try to be careful to identify what is the
role of the board, and what is the role of the ED. And to convey the
difference to the community.

I'd say that it is within the role of the board to say
"we want a Wikimania every year. This should be a meeting of roughly
300-400 people, mostly wikimedians; an opportunity to participants to
meet face to face and share experiences, have fun, and bond. Also an
opportunity to push certain agendas, meet with the press, expand the fan
circle, hear big leaders in the free movement, in the wiki world, in the
educational system etc... Should propose scholarship. Should be in
various places around the world. As much as possible, should be a cost
free even for the WMF."

Then, the role of the ED is to make sure that this happens. It is her
job to ensure that the event is successful, financially sound... and
probably that security of participants is taken care of.

Right now, two situations may happen.
The ED herself might wonder if there might be problems because of
hersay, mails on the list, press, private emails, whatever...
Or the board might wonder if there might be problems.

If the board thinks there might be problems, the wise thing to do is for
the board to ask the ED to conduct a study, analyze the risks given the
latest circonstances, evaluate which steps may be followed to balance
the risk if there is one, do contingency planning, and estimate the
consequences of cancelling or moving the event elsewhere. Naturally, the
analysis is not fully conducted by Sue, but done with the help of many
parties.

Then, the ED will present her conclusions to the board, and provide some
recommandations. Based on the ED recommandations, the board may either
decide to delegate full authority to Sue to make the decision herself,
or the board will take a decision *with* Sue.

So, what I plan to do Saturday is to ask the board whether they consider
new circonstances are worth requesting a more straightforward study of
the situation and steps to ensure security. The board can either dismiss
the issue I raise, or agree to ask for a recommandation from Sue.

THEN, it will be up to Sue to act. And I doubt she will make any
suggestion in 2-3 days.

I'll forward this email to the board :-)

Thanks

Ant