[Foundation-l] Next board meeting

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 10:45:34 UTC 2008

Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> The point is this: the board *must* represent the community but the
> board *must* be also the link between the community and the management
> (it's natural because the choice of the management is that any manager
> can be *not* wikipedian).
>
> With a function of *control* of the board on the management's work the
> community can have *trust* on management's work.
>
> In this vision I said that the role of treasurer is bigger than the
> role that a board's member can have, but if we are looking for a
> treasurer in a traditional point of view the treasurer must be a
> person outside the board (probably), but in this case he will be a
> member of the management.

Ilario,

We are not looking for a treasurer in the traditional view. Our finances
are primarily handled by the accountant and the CFOO, who are both staff
members. The treasurer will not have "the hands in the books".
His role will be to

* Manage, with the finance committee to be created, the board's review
of and action related to the board's financial responsibilities;

* Work with the chief executive to ensure that appropriate financial
reports are made available to the board. Regularly reviews reports to
board on key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of
fiscal health;

* May work directly with the bookkeeper or other staff in developing and
implementing financial procedures and systems;

* Serves as support to the financial officer of the organization and as
chairperson of the finance committee;

* Serves on the audit committee;

* Review the annual budget that is presented to the balance of the board
for approval;

* Review the annual audit and answers board members' questions about the
audit;

* Provides financial and operational advice and guidance to the board as
required.

This role will be clearly separated from the management, so there is no
self-control.

In comparison, in all our chapters, the treasurer has a much larger
role, doing both control and execution. This is generally considered ok
in small organizations and it was the case of WMF in the past as well
(Michael was both controlling and doing the accounting).
If (when) chapters grow, they will have to separate roles, or at least
set up an independant audit.

Ant