[Foundation-l] Next board meeting

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 14:15:36 UTC 2008

effe iets anders wrote:
> Hi Florence,
>
> First of all I'd like to thank the Board and the Foundtaion as a whole
> for the increased openness. This is iirc the first time since a while
> that a board meeting has been announced this publicly on beforehand,
> including to-be-discussed topics.
>
> I am glad that a secretary will be chosen, but a question that keeps
> popping up to me is the treasurer. Because the Foundation website
> still doesn't mention a treasurer, and a board without a treasurer
> sounds a bit scary to me. Maybe it would be worthwhile to appoint at
> least a temporary treasurer? (Assuming that the Board is still
> searching outside the community for a new treasurer)

I do not think it will make a big difference to have a temporary
treasurer right now. A lot of work has been provided by Mona, and we now
have a brand new CFOO (Veronique), so it is not as if nothing was being
done.

The board recently agreed on a name which was suggested by Sue. However,
when asked, the person refused the proposition. It was not out of
interest, but for various reasons which I do not think I am allowed to
publicly mention. One of those however, is likely to be a recurrent
reason for all potential candidates: time commitment.

We received several propositions by email, some of them being very
serious propositions, worth exploring. Which is why it would be a good
idea to meet at least some of these candidates face to face in april.

ant

> Another thing I personally like that the board discusses is the board
> <-> staff transitions. I.e. can a board member become staff and visa
> versa, or should there be a transition period.

including this in the discussions over elections seem a good idea.

> Finally I think that it would be good if the board would discuss the
> possibilities of a Wiki/Volunteer council. this Council has been
> discussed several times in the past, and the last thing I heard about
> it was the suggestion to let the board appoint some people to form an
> initial council, so that they can set up the required procedures etc.
> To come there, a goal etc should be formulated however. If this is put
> on the agenda of the Board, I am confident that the community will be
> able to have at least finished a discussion about the topic, although
> I am not sure that this would also lead to 100% clear conclusions.

You know how supportive I am of that. I'll try to add that to the
agenda. To be fair with you though, I fear board members do not pay any
attention and interest to this option :-(

ant