[Foundation-l] WMF/EFF and Copyright extension

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 22:10:26 UTC 2008

In a message dated 2/20/2008 4:57:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org writes:

You've  hit on a good case there, I assume Mussorgsky died more than 95 years
ago,  so the composer's copyright has expired. In fact, it'd likely expired
by  the time ELP recorded the stuff. Even if it hadn't, all you need to do  is
get a "mechanical license" to allow you to do your own recording. So,  much
to my surprise - and delight - there may be some ELP stuff could go  on
Commons in the next few years if this measure is  beaten.

Actually, it is an interesting case. Mussorgsky died in 1881, while  they
recorded Pictures in 1971. No 95 years.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)