[Foundation-l] WMF/EFF and Copyright extension

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Feb 20 21:05:10 UTC 2008

Composers' rights are not being extended, we're talking about stuff where
their rights have lapsed and the rights for a performer on a recording are
at stake.

Composer's have life+95 (IIRC) which means that ELP and the like won't be
appearing on WMF servers anytime soon (I met Greg Lake in London a few years
back, so he's still around). Where this impacts the foundation is stuff done
late 19th century and the composer is long dead. A performance recorded in
the 50s or 60s of the work would be impacted, in some cases it'd be
withdrawn from the public domain.

Brian McNeil