[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

Mohamed Magdy mohamed.m.k at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:01:25 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 4:34 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I think would be most useful at this point is to try and compile
> an informational resource about this topic, so that we can see all
> points of view at a glance, and try to educate people better about
> this topic. More information and education will help to guide more
> informed decisions on this topic.
>
> Some kinds of information that we should obtain and make public are:

Not sure if I should reply considering that I'm a muslim and might be
biased, but here is a reply:

> 1) Who exactly is offended by this and why?

Who:
I can say that most (not all) egyptian muslims would be offended by these
pictures, either the pictures on [[Muhammed]] or the ones on jyllands posten
article.
Why:
Because they consider (muslims) and believe that muhammed isn't like any
other person whom could be depicted in a picture and humiliated by some
artists. they consider him as a holy figure, like the best person ever born
and the one who guided them to a better life etc. So when people start to
show paintings and even worse, cartoons insulting him, they get upset and
offended. they don't view it from 'free speech' 'freedom of expression'  or
'freedom to write' points but rather as an insult and disrespect to them and
to their religion.

> 2) Is there a prohibition on simply having these images, or are they
> only offensive when viewed by certain people? Ie, is it possible to
> have these images, but hold them on a page where they are not readily
> viewable, or only viewable after a warning?

On jyllands posten's article on arabic wikipedia, there is a warning and a
link to the images.

> 3) What are the specific uses and values of the images currently on
> display? Is there significant historical context to these images, and
> are they closely integrated into the article?

imho, they are just there as test or challenge of wikipedia's freedom of
expression and a source for (false) feel good that wikipedia is free. beside
that, as a helpful illustrations that add to the articles and increase its
educational value, null.

> <censored> :P
>

> --Andrew Whitworth

--user:alnokta