[Foundation-l] Possibility of a git-based fully distributed Wikipedia

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 19:56:45 UTC 2008

On 2008.02.18 13:39:22 +0100, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> scribbled 2.4K characters:
> In a system like you envision, how are you going to deal with edit
> conflict like situations? That is, what if I get one edit on a page
> from one person, and another from another person, how am I going to
> resolve the end state of my version of the wiki page?
>
> --
> Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com

I suppose the same way all [[Distributed revision control]] systems do, by intelligently merging as many changes as possible and letting a human or automatic policy handle the rest. It's an interesting topic, [[Merge (revision control)]] is, and generally handled well by tools like [[Darcs]]. At least, merges have rarely been a problem in my experience.

--
gwern
Recce .375 Spetznaz Belknap radint Mafia Gorizont LABLINK Kyudanki server