[Foundation-l] How Kul is that?

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 00:32:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 3:13 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, your email does, except for it's shape and wordings, suggest
> > more that it is all about making a point to the community, that you
> > want to start a discussion. If you want to do so, maybe it's more
> > useful to just write it a little more general, and make the topic a
> > little more clearer: you want that the WMF researches the
> > possibilities of advertizements. In that way we could have a more open
> > discussion about the topic :)
>
> The topic has, however, been discussed to death. I don't see any
> particularly new arguments in Simon's email (it basically boils down
> to: Everyone else does it and we could make a hell of a lot of money
> out of it), so I don't see a useful discussion taking place.

Indeed, it is one of the most hoary of the Perennial Proposals,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Perennial_proposals#Advertising

Perhaps deserving a hall of fame award for # of bytes expended in
discussion (maybe even more of Zachte's magical mailing-list analysis
could rank arguments this way, telling us, for instance, exactly how
many Britannica-volume equivalents we have expended in text discussing
attack sites, CC licenses or advertising. I'm sure it's a whole
meta-encyclopedia unto itself).

Re: Simon's argument, I don't think most of us are in it for the money.

-- phoebe