[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Wikimedia-wide globalblocking mechanism?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 15:24:51 UTC 2008

--- Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Birgitte SB wrote:
> > As I said before [1], stewards should be allowed
> > opt-in the wiki's with no community.  Disscussions
> > only need to happen if there is an active
> community.
> > I also don't mind opt-out if everyone gets
> > comprehensible notification about the system and
> how
> > to opt-out.
>
> If the stewards would be able to decide themselves
> to opt-in a wiki
> without community approval, then this is quite the
> same as the opt-out
> proposal by Lodewijk.
>
> IMHO, when this system is technically ready, there
> should be a
> discussion in each wiki which has a community, at
> least to inform the
> wiki that
> 1. the new feature exists,
> 2. the wiki has the choice to opt-in or -out.
> Now if no community is able to take such a decision,
> and the stewards
> take it for them, your proposition is quite the same
> as Lodewijk's. It
> only gives more power to stewards, which they should
> not have.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann

Trusting the stewards to opt-in what they judge to be
a wiki with no community and taking this feature live
on all wikis at once is not the same proposal.  Both
proposals make dealing with vandalism on inactive
wikis easier, but my proposal prevents the problems
that might occur with more active wikis due to poor
communication.

Birgitte SB