[Foundation-l] Returning to Foundation-L

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 1 20:35:50 UTC 2008

Michael Bimmler writes:

>  Austin and I have discussed the particular comment with Gregory quite
> extensively and, for the record, he elaborated on his comments in
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-January/037795.html
> and clarified his intention.  From a list moderator's POV, I consider
> this "case" dealt with.

I respect Greg's attempt to respond to my departure, and I hope my
decision to leave for a while is not a cause of any lasting grief.

I will say that, in my view, Greg fundamentally (ha!) misunderstood
what I was trying to say about the religious nature of certain kinds
of free-culture issues and discussions -- I wasn't saying that "the
other side" was any more religious or fanatical than "my" side
(whatever that is) might be. I was instead trying to compare the
internecine squabbles here with what seem to me to be their closest
parallel in the offline world.  We're all adherents of the same free-
culture doctrines, I believe -- where we differ is in how we choose to
spread the word.

--Mike