[Foundation-l] Wikipedia video tutorials: the making-of

Frank Schulenburg frank.schulenburg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 23:37:11 UTC 2008

2008/12/23 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>:

> Thank you very much for these explanations for us curious Wikipedians.

:-)

> Oh, you just want to show how the place will look like? I cannot find
> something Wikipedia-related on that US Congress site.

No, it was just to give you an impression you how it _could_ look like.

>>My experience so far: you can't imagine how many people don't know
>>that everyone can edit Wikipedia. You give a lecture, everybody knows
>>Wikipedia, and suddenly someone asks: "but what happens when I click
>>on the edit button?" Every Wikipedian knows that uploading pictures on
>
> Yes, but it is not only a technical questions, but also about the whole
> concept of wiki authorship: Am I entitled to edit?

Yes, that's perfectly true. For some of our target groups this is
certainly a bigger obstacle than the wiki markup.

> But the
> questions by the people in the audience were very, very basic.

Again, I agree. Our first step should be to figure out which of these
very basic questions we should answer. I'm sure that will have a high
impact.

> When I showed Wikipedia to elderly people, it was not only Wikipedia and
> Internet related stuff they did not know of. Basic computer skills are
> missing, like drag and drop, copying text, open several windows. Will your
> future how-to video provide also that, Frank?

We should at least think about ways to make the how-to screencast
tutorials as comprehensible as possible. Would you personally be
interested to join the screencast team? Your participation is highly
welcome!

> The German she speaks at the end sound to me as if she were German.

She's living in Berlin ;-)

Thank you for your helpful comments which I appreciate as always.

Frank