[Foundation-l] Wikipedia video tutorials: the making-of

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:29:25 UTC 2008

Hello Frank,
Thank you very much for these explanations for us curious Wikipedians.

> I will ask Michael Dale for more information. For the moment you'll
> find a nicer implementation at
>
> http://metavid.org/wiki/Stream:House_proceeding_06-09-08_01/0:01:38/0:10:00

Oh, you just want to show how the place will look like? I cannot find
something Wikipedia-related on that US Congress site.

>My experience so far: you can't imagine how many people don't know
that everyone can edit Wikipedia. You give a lecture, everybody knows
Wikipedia, and suddenly someone asks: "but what happens when I click
on the edit button?" Every Wikipedian knows that uploading pictures on

Yes, but it is not only a technical questions, but also about the whole
concept of wiki authorship: Am I entitled to edit?

I remember having watched the Wikimania lecture of Jimmy Wales in
Alexandria, ten minutes about freedom of speech in the Internet era. But the
questions by the people in the audience were very, very basic.

When I showed Wikipedia to elderly people, it was not only Wikipedia and
Internet related stuff they did not know of. Basic computer skills are
missing, like drag and drop, copying text, open several windows. Will your
future how-to video provide also that, Frank?

>Theresa is Canadian. Wikipedia is an international project and our

The German she speaks at the end sound to me as if she were German.

Kind regards,
Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk