[Foundation-l] Wikipedia video tutorials: the making-of

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Fri Dec 19 23:57:54 UTC 2008

Frank Schulenburg hett schreven:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thank you very much for your question. The first two Guided tours will
> initially be available in English (the language we produced the
> videos) and in German (as Wikimedia Deutschland paid the production
> costs).

I want to mention, that it is called Wikimedia Deutschland and not
Wikimedia Deutsche Sprache. There's a difference. But let that be a side
note.
> The footage will be published under a share-alike licence and uploaded
> to Wikimedia Commons. This will assure that everyone can produce a
> version in his own language by using the voice-over technique.
>
> Currently, Michael Dale is working on adding video-related
> functionality to MediaWiki. Amongst other things he is developing a
> solution for subtitling as part of the metavidWiki extension.
>
> Example:
> http://metavid.org/w/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/mv_embed/example_usage/sample_timed_text.php
>
> The great thing about this subtitling solution is that the transcripts
> can be collaboratively written using the wiki engine.
>
> The second example lets you choose between two languages (click on
> "Select Text Layers"). Up to now, the metavidWiki extension already
> supports the concept of a multitude of text layers differentiating in
> language.

I will not judge, cause I spent too few time on it, but this thing
doesn't work well for me. The subtitles or better sidetitles seem to be
not in synch and it looks confusing for me as a first time user. Is
there a coordination place or a place with information about the work on
the metavidWiki extension, where I can find info on the roadmap of the
extension? Or: When will it be done?

I said "especially about languages", but I'm interested in the other
questions too. Who is the target? What's the concept? I mentioned the
speaker in the previous post, cause she appears very "American" to me.
In look, in habit, in body language.

Marcus Buck