[Foundation-l] Wikipedia video tutorials: the making-of

Frank Schulenburg frank.schulenburg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 23:02:56 UTC 2008

Hi Marcus,

Thank you very much for your question. The first two Guided tours will
initially be available in English (the language we produced the
videos) and in German (as Wikimedia Deutschland paid the production
costs).

The footage will be published under a share-alike licence and uploaded
to Wikimedia Commons. This will assure that everyone can produce a
version in his own language by using the voice-over technique.

Currently, Michael Dale is working on adding video-related
functionality to MediaWiki. Amongst other things he is developing a
solution for subtitling as part of the metavidWiki extension.

Example:
http://metavid.org/w/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/mv_embed/example_usage/sample_timed_text.php

The great thing about this subtitling solution is that the transcripts
can be collaboratively written using the wiki engine.

The second example lets you choose between two languages (click on
"Select Text Layers"). Up to now, the metavidWiki extension already
supports the concept of a multitude of text layers differentiating in
language.

Thanks again. Multilingualism is a challenge and I'm very happy you
raised the issue.

Frank

NB. This mail address is used for public mailing lists. Personal
emails sent to this address will get lost.