[Foundation-l] Report to the Board of Trustees: October 2008

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 20:57:37 UTC 2008

Sue Gardner wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Here is the RTTB for October. November will follow soon :-)
>
> Enjoy!
> Sue
>

> Report to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
>
> Covering:          October 2008
> Prepared by:    Sue Gardner, Executive Director, Wikimedia Foundation
> Prepared for:   Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
>
> MY CURRENT PRIORITIES
>
> 1. Planning for Bangalore and Davos trips
> 2. Finalization of staff goals and performance check-ins
> 3. Planning for development of the strategic plan
> 4. Ongoing major donor solicitation and stewardship, foundation proposal
> follow-up
> 5. Bits and pieces (all-staff meeting, CPO recruitment, Wikimania 2008
> postmortem, office space revamp, Board Nominating Committee, etc.)
>
> THIS PAST MONTH
>
> BOARD MEETING
>
> The Board met the first weekend of October at the WMF offices in San
> Francisco, with all Board members in attendance.  During the meeting, the
> Board reviewed and approved the Gift Policy and Privacy Policy. As always,
> these are posted at:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Policies
>
> Treasurer Stuart West presented an update on the audit, informing the Board
> that the audit is progressing much more quickly than last year, and that the
> Board will receive the financial statements within a few weeks.  Vice-Chair
> Jan-Bart de Vreede made a presentation on Open Standards and a discussion
> was held about file formats.
>
> Discussions were also held about Advisory Board and Board development, and
> the formation of sub-national chapters. Erik Moeller gave updates and
> answered questions regarding Wikimedia's technology priorities, and the
> online fundraiser.  Minutes from the July meeting were approved.
>
> The minutes of the October meeting will be approved and published following
> the next board meeting, in January.
>
> FUNDRAISING AND GRANTS
>
> Extensive work was done by all departments on fine-tuning the various
> components of the Annual Campaign in preparation for the  launch the first
> week of November:
>
> * Further testing and development of the CiviCRM donor database, including
> e-mail capabilities – for the first time, we've got automated e-mail thank
> yous set up for all donors
> * Development of campaign management tools for sitenotice deployment, such
> as scheduling and weighting of different sitenotices
> * Lining up external support by design and PR firms; producing the first
> sitenotices; developing audio PSAs
> * Identifying core messages that need to be translated and coordinating
> volunteer translations
> * Streamlining and documenting all fundraising related procedures, such as
> donor thank-yous
> * Developing a fundraising agreement between WMF and the chapters which want
> to participate in the online fundraiser
> [...]

Thank you Sue.

A question. When the chapters and the Foundation held their meeting in
netherlands in spring, there was an agreement from the WMF side that a
practical proposition regarding business agreements made by chapters
would be presented to chapters by WMF business development team.

I am not aware we received anything practical which could clarify what
chapters may or may not do, as well as clear procedures for future
partnerships. Maybe I missed the email entirely. If not, can you update
us on when we can expect clarification ? Could this happen before the
next WMF-chapters meeting ?

Thanks

Ant