[Textbook-l] Wiki-to-print and ODT now live in all Wikibooks editions

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 24 01:21:37 UTC 2008

The PediaPress technology is now running in all Wikibooks languages.
We have also gone ahead and enabled ODT support, so you can export
collections to edit them in a word processor.

The help is currently available in English and German:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Help:Collections
http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hilfe:Sammlungen

Help with translating it is appreciated; I've also posted a notice to
translators-l to this effect.

I've created an English example collection:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Eloquence/Collections/Blended_Learning

To get a PDF, ODT or to order a printed copy of that demo, go here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special:Collection/load_collection/?colltitle=User:Eloquence/Collections/Blended_Learning

To report bugs, please visit:
http://code.pediapress.com/

create an account, and create a "new ticket". The PP team is very
responsive & helpful. :-)

Known issues:

* Licensing info isn't perfect. This is a tricky one because proper
attribution of collaborative works is generally non-trivial, but we're
working together on improving it.
* There are non-internationalizable strings in the PDF output. The
PediaPress team is working with translatewiki.net to sort this out.
* ODT support is still experimental, so please give lots of feedback
on brokenness.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation