[Foundation-l] and what if...

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 23:52:49 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> I can not help reflect further on the whole Virgin Killer story.
>>

> Why is that?
>
> A lack of self control, or because you actually have a
> deeply thought out viewpoint?

Yeah.

Tomorrow, I am talking in a conference. The topic is focused on scenario
planning (and how it can help to foresee and organize for important
shifts). A couple of days ago, the moderator of the session asked me if
Wikipedia had ever used "scenario planning". I stayed speechless...
hmmm, strategic planning as in SWOT, yes. Environmental scan, yes. But
scenario planning, no, I had no memory.
Hmmm, at best, a very simplified scenario planning version for the
budget, with short time "best case" and "worse case". Usually, scenario
planning is rather on the 5-10 years scale.

I then thought of the major society shifts we are currently observing.

Would the future rather follow lines of a liberalization, with more free
licences and sharing... or to the contrary follow lines of tightening of
intellectual property laws.
Would the future rather follow lines of increasing scattering of
responsibilities on internet in particular and ultimately strong
weakening of the notion of states... or to the contrary follow lines of
increasing nation-based control of content access by its citizens.
Would the future rather follow lines of mercantilization, brand
marketing... or to the contrary follow lines of equal trade, fairness
and charitable giving.

And so on.

And I thought I could perhaps drop a bait to see how wikipedians on
foundation-l would react. Would they feel like playing the game of
thinking of scenarios in the spirit of long term strategic planning. Or
would they stay STUCK to the current story.

Feedback was beyond my expectations :-)

My answer tomorrow could be
"Wikipedia was probably the least planned project ever; it currently has
reached the level of a non-profit start-up, with a planning ability of
about 1 year".
and
"Professionals could probably help us grow up in certain areas, but they
would have to cope with all the no-life standing on our mailing lists".

Cheers

Ant