[Foundation-l] Sexual images of questionable provenance

David Moran fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:22:48 UTC 2008

I don't think it's helpful or useful to classify images that aren't
currently being used in an article somewhere as second class, or more
readily deletable.  There are, I think it safe to say, TONS of images on
Commons that aren't being used anywhere.  So what if we have male nudes far
in excess of what would ever need to be used in one article?  The point of
commons isn't as a hosting substitute for Wikipedia's article, it is as a
repository of free images.  For most purposes, people will only need one
image out of a group, but offering a variety from which they can choose can
only be beneficial.

If the free-ness of an image can be reasonably disputed, fine, go ahead and
delete it, but don't start setting up separate standards for deletion based
on an image's use.

FMF