[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 19:25:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I speak as a big fan of and participant in Wikimedia Commons.
>
> But: Is it time to deprecate Commons as a WMF service project? It's
> clearly failing and the local "community" is actively hostile to
> contributors from other wikis.
>
> Commons appears to have forgotten it was created as a service project
> for other WMF wikis. It's not doing the job any more.
>
> Discussions please. (Not denial that this problem is a problem, thanks.)

I don't participate in Commons (photography's not really my thing).
But I *do* actively promote it as an awesome place to find free media.
I was under the impression that the project had some time ago moved
beyond simply being a technically convenient service project, and
everyone was pretty well agreed on that. Am I wrong? Is this about the
idea of Commons per se, or about issues with the individual people
involved?

-- phoebe