[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Dec 2 19:06:08 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> When 80% are considered to be a failure,

We might have failures, but "80% of projects" is not a useful
metric.  As we define new projects, such as the Swahili Wikinews,
Swahili Wikiversity and Swahili Wikispecies, there is no end to
the number of failures we might have.  We can easily reach 98%
failures.  So we cannot use the improvement of this metric as our
goal.

To further illustrate this, by closing down the failing 80% of WMF
projects, the remaining projects would be 100% successful.

So please use statistics and metrics that make sense.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)