[Foundation-l] The Wikimania of my dreams

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Sun Aug 17 04:45:55 UTC 2008

Milos Rancic wrote:
> I think that it is more than possible to make one central event and a
> number of events all over the world at the same time. All of the
> places would be connected via video links as better as it is possible.

With or without video, though of course it would help, I think the idea
of simultaneous events in multiple locations would be interesting to
pursue. A second location wouldn't easily leap up to the level of
Wikimania, though. And I hope we wouldn't simply reduce things to
broadcasting Wikimania proceedings to other venues (closer to having an
"audience" than including other parts of the "community").

It might be good to build this kind of capacity organically, the way we
have done other things. Perhaps two of the various meetups that happen
regularly around the world would like to coordinate with each other as a
first run. That could be a fun experience and an opportunity to get
involved at the very earliest stages of something.

--Michael Snow