[Foundation-l] Note regarding status of privacy policy (suggestion)

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 06:56:53 UTC 2008

It's interesting that you mention 15 days, Jon - as I think the trend has
been in the other direction - towards retaining information for a longer
period - perhaps to better combat vandal accounts?

It was at one point communicated to me that IP data was retained for approx
one month - recently it has been confirmed to me that IP data is now stored
for at least three months - I'm not really sure quite what I think the time
period should be, but I would prefer it to be disclosed openly - I don't
really find arguments supporting security through obscurity wholly
compelling.

Also - I'd like to confirm that general discussion of checkuser form and
function appropriate to this mailing list? - I'm not sure of the norms
around here, and it seems a bit... well... heated, and I don't want to poke
anyone into further rudeness.

best,

Peter,
PM.