[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 20:59:24 UTC 2008

If you thought I was suggesting you can't make money off freely
published work, I didn't mean to leave that impression at all...
Practical experience over the last decade is that one clearly can make
a lot of money that way.

In the speculative fiction arena, Cory is one well known example.
Somewhat less well known author Eric Flint freely released one of his
early novels on the web in the mid-90s, after it had been out for
several years - there was a statistically significant *rise* in its
sales immediately, and the rest of his books showed a sales increase
as well.  I have informally heard that he thinks that between 25 and
40% of his sales have been driven by him openly releasing things.
John Scalzi sold a speculative fiction book that he wrote for fun and
serialized on his blog to a major publisher, and now is both
critically acclaimed and one of the better paid speculative fiction
writers with a number of genre bestseller list books.

My point was that -SA / GFDL type licensing doesn't help turn free web
publishing into money, and may hurt your chances to do that.

-george william herbert