[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Mary Murrell mary_murrell at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 20:51:33 UTC 2008

It is not the case that you can't make money from a print version of something that is available on line for free. Case in point: philosopher Harry Frankfurt published an article in the 1980s in an academic journal. It eventually made its way to an unrestricted website where one could freely download it.  Nonethless, a publisher,  just a couple years ago, published the thing as a little book, with the same title and with not a single change, and it sold over 350,000 copies and got a huge amount of publicity for the author (and the essay). The title of the book/essay is On Bullshit.

Of course, Cory Doctorow makes the same point about his own work, which he makes available for free on line.