[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 30 22:55:55 UTC 2008

Ilario writes:

> Putting experts in a complex environment like Wikipedia's communities
> it's a risk not for Wikimedia projects, but for themselves because
> they
> could not have the power to introduce a "new deal".

For what it's worth, putting experts on the board of EFF who
themselves had no direct experience in civil liberties or freedom-of-
expression issues turned out okay.  Some of them even lacked any
experience in nonprofits.

I don't think the process outlined by Jan-Bart poses a significant
risk to the communities or the projects.

I also think that if the communities wanted a "new deal," they could
get one through the processes they control (both direct election and
chapter selection).  It does not even take a majority to shake things
up if a Board has gone off-track.

--Mike