[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Apr 30 14:11:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/30 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>

>  >  Is he interested?  If not, then he's not a good example.  If so, then
>  >  why doesn't he start participate on the mailing lists, and become
>  >  involved in the community?  Note that Brian said "with no editing
>  >  experience and no involvement in the community", not just "not a
>  >  Wikipedian".
>

>  I was most pleased to discover many Creative Commons people (including
>  Joi Ito) reading commons-l. Obviously, there's a common interest on
>  that list.
>
>  OTOH, foundation-l could be more than a little offputting to people
>  not used to our little ways (it's offputting enough for those who
>  are).

There are lots of parts of the WMF that are offputting to people.  But
if someone finds *all* the different activities of the WMF to be
offputting, why in the world would they want to be on its board?

Personally, I do believe that all board members or prospective board
members should participate on foundation-l at least once in a while,
but that isn't even what I suggested above.  Someone who participated
only on commons-l might be OK, though I'd hope s/he'd at least drop a
line here as to why s/he doesn't participate here, and what could be
done to improve the situation so that s/he would.