[Foundation-l] A question about chapter seats.

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Apr 30 02:57:29 UTC 2008

Sebastian Moleski wrote:
>> However, as the chapters are left to decide how their seat will be
>> dispensed,
>> what if they came forward with an idea such as "the WMF Board will pick a
>> member of our board to represent us on the WMF Board." Or perhaps, "the
>> staff will select for us." Or potentially, "ChapCom and the Chapters
>> Coordinator
>> will make the decision."
>>
> That decision would be outside of the scope of what the chapters seats are
> for. The board specifically said that these seats are to be filled by the
> chapters. That means, the decision or choice has to be made by the chapters.
> The board's statement did not really leave room for complete delegation to
> someone else, much less someone bound in loyalty to the foundation.

Right. In fact, a scenario like the one suggested, where the chapters
come back to the board and say, "You make the choice for us", is pretty
much the one proposal I could guarantee right now that I would reject.
But as indicated by Sebastian's comment, the chapters can be trusted to
understand the intent, and I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

--Michael Snow