[Foundation-l] Board restructuring and community

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 07:20:19 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> If you have more questions (preferably open-ended ones that promote
>> reasoned thought and discussion), you're welcome to ask them and I will
>> try to answer as I have time.
>>
> For my own part (not pretending to speak for anyone else) the question
> I would most like to see answered by each of the board members is:
>
> "What in the proposal of the exploratory body do you think was
> for you the thing that made you support/demurr its implementation
> by the board directly?"

For me, it was the fact that it sought to rely on the board's blessing
in order to organize and do its work, which I believe would defeat the
purpose. The essence of my opinion is what I wrote a little earlier in
response to Lodewijk:

"I think it likely that if the board creates a council, that will end up
defining its relationship to the community and the world at large, and
it will be perceived as a creature (literally, "thing created") of the
board. If so, it would lose nearly all the value hoped for in its
development."

--Michael Snow