[Foundation-l] list traffic decline

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 06:33:03 UTC 2008

David, fair points.  Moreover, these stats are for amusement purposes only,
and tell little more than the email-prone nature of the community, since
almost all meaningful interchange on any projects this size take place
on-wiki.  There's at least two orders of magnitude more traffic through
on-wiki fora and pages, which would be more worth investigating.

wikispecies : last real post by Brianna, may 2007.  (2k/mo, mid-2006)
wikiquote : 3k/mo  (slight decline since founding, mid-2006)
wiktionary : 3k/mo (30k/mo, mid-2005)
wikibooks:   7k/mo (40k/mo, mid-2003;  later peak at 20k/mo, mid-2006)
  (textbook-l)
wikiversity : 20k/mo (back at peak, similar traffic on its founding, late
2006)
wikinews : 20k/mo  (30k/mo, late 2007, after a long decline)
commons : 30k/mo (100k/mo, late 2007)
wiki-
 de: 20k/mo  (300k/mo from 2004  to early 2005)
 fr:  15k/mo  (100k/mo in late 2005/early 2006)
 ja:  60k/mo  (90k/mo in fall 2007)
 pl: 125k/mo (200+k/mo in late 2004/2005)
 it:  10k/mo  (40k/mo in late 2005/2006)
 nl:   5k/mo  (12k/mo in early 2007)
 sv: ?
 pt: ?

wiki-research-l : 25k/mo (at peak)
pywikipedia-l : 200k/mo (steady since founding in August 2007)
mediawiki-l : 150k/mo (250k/mo, late 2005 to late 2007)
mediawiki-cvs : 9MB/mo (at peak)