[Foundation-l] Board restructuring and community

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 02:51:56 UTC 2008

The advisory board has extensive experience in the management of
organizations like the WMF, many of its members have had experienced
board restructurings and shufflings. Their expertise should have been
consulted on this matter.

I'm looking through the Advisory Board's expertise and I'm
flabbergasted that they weren't consulted.

Angela- experience with the WMF Board, and dealing with the chapters.
Heather Ford - "bringing together the various 'streams' of the global
commons movement" sounds very much like the WMF's relationship with
Chapters
Debbie Garside- Committee work and work with ISO is extremely relevant
to chapters.
Danny Hillis- Has experience with other boards of directors,
Mitch Kapor- Has experience with other boards of directors, including
some that have chapter like structures.
Teemu leinonen- work with UNESCO and other organizations can be
related to working with chapters.
Rebecca MacKinnon- Work with CNN, substitute bureaus for chapters and
you have a similar thing.
Wayne Mackintosh- Commonwealth of Learning has a chapter-like
organization
Benjamin Mako Hill- Has experience with other boards of directors
Erin McKean- Has experience with other boards of directors
Trevor Neilson- Has experience with other boards of directors, work
with GBC is very chapterlike.
Clay Shirky - Bolding for emphasis- My interests relevant to Wikimedia
are social software generally, and in particular governance problems;
what changes in coordination costs for groups do to the economics of
information production; and the design of federated networks.
Peter Suber- serves on several boards of directors
Raoul Weiler- other boards of directors experience, chairs a chapter
of a different organization.

At the very least, Angela should have been consulted, along with Clay
Shirky (in his field of expertise), possibly Raoul Weiler (regarding
chapters), and several of the listed above members who have experience
working on other boards, as well as chapter-like organizations.

I have no idea how you can say the advisory board has no expertise on
this matter. This is the very definition of an issue that should be
presented for them.

-Dan