[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 15:12:24 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rationale was explained: The
> Board wants the Chapters to have more involvement in the governance of
> the foundation, and since the chapters presumably would know good
> candidates for the board (as they'd probably have already identified
> some as candidates for their own boards) the move benefits both Board
> and Chapters. Presumably, these would be something like "appointed
> community seats"  as opposed to "elected community seats".

I think that is all clear. What is not clear, however, is what
precisely is the quality the chapters activists have that
for example, OTRS volunteers, developers, the admin /
bureaucrat / steward class, the arbitrator committees
of the various projects, or any number of other special
group within Wikimedians does not have.

As I queried earlier, is it the intention that in the future
there will also be earmarked seats for developers, OTRS
members etc.

I do not question the good sense of the people in the
chapters, but I question the implication that for instance
our developers don't have an equal amount of good sense.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, AKA. Cimon Avaro