[Foundation-l] Wimimedia Radio WAS:RE: Legal position ofaudiorecordings of GFDLcontent?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Apr 24 08:33:32 UTC 2008

Thanks for taking an interest!

I agree that eight hours is more of a long-term goal, but I do have my
concerns that if we're going for podcasts as an interim, we may get stuck at
podcasts and not progress.

Instead, I'd go for doing podcasts in conjunction with getting the technical
hurdles overcome. As soon as we're in a position to start streaming, we do.
It may just be a random player of Commons music as the 0.01 version of the
project, but from there we start scheduling things in from the existing
material: The Wikinews news briefs, the Wikiversity lessons/courses in doing
audio, Wikipedia podcasts, etc. For things like the podcasts from Wikipedia,
it might be an idea to actually only run them on one or two days. So, you
schedule them to run three times in the 24 hours that is Sunday, and same
for Wednesday. That in itself is - I believe - quite an achievable goal.

That brings us to the key issue in progressing beyond podcasts, the
technical side. You mention IceCast, which might suit if we have people
sitting down and doing a schedule, so I'm going to hit their #icecast
channel on Freenode and point them at the idea. For reasons that should be
obvious, I'd want the system running off a text schedule in a wiki.

Brian McNeil